Food should be just as healthy as it is tasty but if you’re like me sometimes you need some inspiration. This recipe is quick, easy, and flavorful.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 jalepenos, stemmed and seeded to your heat preference
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp. each cumin, ground fennel seed, sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 whole grain rolls or 4 pieces bread of choice
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 small bulb fennel, sliced super thin
In a food processor, add the garlic, cilantro, mint, parsley, jalepenos, lemon juice, cumin, fennel, salt and pulse to combine. With the motor going, drizzle in the olive oil until blended but still a little rough. Transfer to a container and set aside.
Toast your bread. Mash up the avocado with a pinch of salt. Spread a few spoonfuls of harissa on one side of the bread and mash half the avocado into the other side of the bread. Layer a piece of romaine and a handful of thin sliced fennel and close up your sammy to enjoy or pack for an adventure.
Green Harissa photos and recipe from Sprouted Kitchen